Kitchen Design – Top 5 Renovation Mistakes to Avoid
Remodelling your kitchen can add significant value to your home, but we also know that it can be an extremely stressful task for many. A complete kitchen remodel can end up being a pricey project, therefore, it is crucial to get it right the first time. Usually with all the stress and rush associated with renovations, homeowners tend to make hasty decisions without proper research or consulting a kitchen designer. If you are taking up a kitchen renovation, we are sure you have a lot of questions. There is a lot of information available about what to do with kitchen renovations, so today let’s talk about what NOT to do! Make sure to avoid these common mistakes in order to spare yourself the pain and remorse of a costly kitchen design.
- Forgetting the Work Structure – While planning on a remodel, remember the busiest areas of your kitchen – sink, stove and the refrigerator. These three areas and appliances should not be placed side by side in a kitchen, otherwise it will be difficult for more than one person to prepare food at a time. Instead, create a “work triangle” with the sink, stove and refrigerator so there’s plenty of room for you to work efficiently in your new kitchen.
- Skipping Storage Details – You can never have too much storage. So, don’t skimp on small add-ons and storage features like extra drawers, tray dividers or pantry pull-outs and lazy susan’s. These minimal details will not only add to your kitchen’s storage efficiency but will also save you money as they can be costly to add on down the track.
- Ignoring the Smaller Details – The majority of homeowners are so absorbed on choosing the countertops, appliances and flooring that they sometimes overlook the minor design details. Of course, countertops and flooring are important, but so are the splashback, cabinet pulls and other finer details. These might seem minor details in the beginning, but they have a major impact on how your kitchen looks after the renovation is complete.
- Choosing Appliances Last – If you are giving your kitchen a complete makeover, avoid choosing appliances at the end. It will be much easier and save a lot of extra hassles if you choose cabinets and countertops that fit appliances, like your dishwasher or refrigerator – rather than the other way about. Having appliance dimensions means you can have your cabinetry custom designed to fit.
- Doing it Alone – Australians love a good DIY renovation and enjoy being hands on with renovations around the home. When it comes to something as vital as a kitchen remodel, we suggest you consult a kitchen design expert. A professional will be able to fine tune your renovation and offer you tips and advice and even recommend unique ideas that you might not have already considered.
When it’s something as important as a kitchen remodel, you can’t afford to make mistakes, because even the simplest ones can cause a lot of frustration and additional stress and costs. Make the process a lot easier by choosing our award-winning kitchen renovation company in Melbourne – DAMCO Kitchens.
With an established network of experienced suppliers and contractors, intimate knowledge of local permits and building codes and a dedicated team with the best experience, we can ensure that your project will run smoothly and exceed your expectations. So, if you want to design your dream kitchen with us, let’s begin today! Call us on (03) 9855 2310 to get started or simply email us at email@example.com.