6 Simple Design Ideas to give your smaller Bathroom the illusion of space
Nearly all of us dream of having an airy, open bathroom with a luxurious shower, a separate tub, dual sinks and maybe even some self-indulgent space just for lazing between baths. So, whether you can fulfil that dream or not, in the meantime, maximise the space in your current bathroom to use it to its full potential by following these tips. At DAMCO, we have a team of bathroom experts that will look through every aspect of your small bathroom and suggest practical yet creative ways to make your bathroom the focal point of your home.
From carefully choosing the colour palette to creating visual illusion tricks, you can use some or all our tips to make your small bathroom appear bigger.
- Open it up with White – One of the easiest ways to create an illusion of space is to use white colours. White reflects natural light and naturally recedes – making the space appear bigger. White finishes can work well in any room, but they are the most effective with bathrooms. Since the bathroom generally uses a few white fixtures such as the toilet, sink, tub, etc, by using it for other surfaces as well creates a seamless look that makes the space appear bigger.
- Use Floating Vanity – In a smaller bathroom, it can be harder to balance the need for loads of storage as well as more space. Using a floating vanity can be useful here. It gives you lots of room to store your essentials and the distance from the floor makes the area more open. In a small space, having a little more room to plant your feet can make a huge difference.
- Go Big with your Mirrors – Large mirrors can visually amplify the size of your bathroom. Mirrors reflect light in the room and take on the colour and pattern, creating an illusion of a larger space. Splurge on a large mirror with a beautiful frame or go for small-sized custom pieces artistically arranged in the place of a larger mirror. Try adding mirrors opposite from your windows to reflect light. This can make even the smallest rooms appear bigger and brighter.
- Bright Lighting – Lighting plays a huge role in making any space appear spacious and airy. In areas like bathrooms, where natural light is not always available, it is even more important to focus on good lighting. Additionally, you need good lighting to shave, apply makeup and get ready for the day, so it’s importance can’t be overlooked. Therefore, it is important to have a good lighting scheme with multiple light sources in your bathroom. A grid of ceiling lights, scones or accent lighting will help you avoid shadowing and create a spa-like ambience.
- Use Clear Glass for the Shower – Eliminate the textured glass in your bathroom and replace it with a clear glass. In a small bathroom, you want the shower space to contribute to the bathroom’s overall space so that it looks bigger and airy. When you use a textured glass, you create a separate space in the same bathroom, making it look congested. Clear glass becomes invisible, even though you can see it – creating a visually spacious bathroom.
- Slide, Don’t Swing – Remodelling an ensuite bathroom is all about getting creative and re-thinking the common issues. Replace a standard door with a sliding pocket door to utilise floor space that was once used for the door swing. In a small bathroom, a sliding door with a frosted glass panel that allows maximum natural light to enter while still providing enough privacy is a unique space-saving alternative.
Are you in the process of renovating your ensuite or bathroom? Let our bathroom renovation experts at DAMCO help you with all your bathroom remodelling needs in Melbourne. To get in touch with our team call us at (03) 9855 2310 or email email@example.com and one of our friendly members will get in touch with you. We are available for all your bathroom and kitchen renovation services Melbourne wide.